The Maryland Federation of NARFE’s One Member One Vote process is underway!
This is the first step to voting – to know the candidates running for office. The next step will be the ballot, which will be sent to you by this email system on March 25. Voting begins March 26.
Please take the time to read over the candidates’ statements, so you will be informed when you receive the ballot and vote on March 26.
Statements are below. Don’t forget to VOTE!
MARYLAND FEDERATION OF NARFE ~ STATEMENTS OF CANDIDATES RUNNING FOR OFFICE
PRESIDENT ~ DR. GARY ROUNDTREE SR.
I currently serve as President of the Maryland Federation of NARFE. I provide strategic leadership for the Federation by working with the Executive Committee and Board and other management to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans, and policies; I plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization’s fiscal function and performance; and preside at all meetings.
A United States Marine Corps Veteran and an Army Reserve Veteran, I continue to serve as a federal employee in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. An ordained Bishop, I currently serve as a Chaplain with the VA National Black Chaplains Association and as a VA Voluntary Service (VAVS) Officer, Department of Maryland Marine Corps League VAVS Officer, VSO, Fort George Meade Liaison, Maryland Joint Veterans Committee, U.S. Army Ambassador CRSC/TSGLI, NSO/CSO Disabled American Veterans attorney-in-fact, assisting veterans and families with filing claims with the VA. I previously served in the Department of Defense and also in the U.S. Postal Service.
I serve on the NARFE Maryland Federation Editorial Board, Department of Veterans Affairs NBCA Editorial Board Department of Veterans Affairs Congressional and VSO Stakeholder Board. I published various articles and papers; appeared on television and radio programs for NARFE and Veterans Organizations. I am also a member of the Council of Federal Executives and Associates. A native of Hookerton, North Carolina, I am a graduate of Philadelphia Bible College Seminary and University, and Family Bible College Seminary and University. I am also an alumnus of Hampton University. I hold a Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Counseling, Doctor of Theology, Doctor of Divinity, Master of Theology, Bachelor of Theology and Associate of Arts in Biblical Studies. I am also a Master Mason with Third degree from Prince Hall Grand Lodge. I hold the following certifications: DVA-NBCA Clinical Certified Member; Licensed Clinical Pastoral Counselor – Advance; Board Certification for Group Therapy, Board Certification for Integrated Marriage and Family Therapy; and National Board of Clinical Therapist Supervisor.
FIRST VICE PRESIDENT/LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR ~ DR. SUDHA HALEY
I currently serve as the Maryland Federation’s First Vice President and Legislative Director and NARFE-PAC Coordinator. I previously served the Federation as Legislative Committee Chair and Senate Leader and Congressional District Leader.
I motivated and inspired a brilliant Team of NARFE/MD Federation leaders to create a Profile in Civil Service book, because Senators and Congressmen urged us to tell our stories for them to share across the aisle. The Federation Profiles have surpassed all expectations, and have gone nationwide with Colorado, Kansas, Florida, California, North and South Carolina and many other Federations asking to follow Maryland’s Profiles’ lead. Our 2019 Profiles Golden Edition will also include profiles from Federal employees and retirees in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C.
I collaborated and built sustainable alliances with coalition partners, including AARP and many others, to create and manage Forums forMaryland’s Senate, Congressional and Governor candidates, webcasting the debates statewide.
I partnered with Maryland Federation President Dr. Gary Roundtree Sr. to initiate the Chapter Spotlight Tour. The goal has been to visit every Federation Chapter together, listen to and try to resolve members’ concerns, and gain member insight and priorities for the Future of our Maryland Federation.
Leading several sustaining initiatives and programs, I have delivered two years of passionate and dedicated service as the First Vice President and Legislative Director and NARFE-PAC Coordinator. In the next two years, I am eager to generate more ideas to promote our Federation and to serve our officers and members and help them achieve and accomplish our mutual goals.
Several members and Federation and Regional leaders have encouraged me to seek another two-year term. They indicated that I have built momentum as a knowledgeable, supportive, empowering, inspiring leader, bringing energy, vision, diverse perspectives, competencies and proficiencies, in accomplishing the Federation’s Mission and Goals. They have urged me to continue.
Among my many leadership and management positions in the United States government and in the public sector, I served as the Assistant Deputy Associate Secretary of Labor. I had oversight of the Budgets, Personnel, and Programs of 10 DOL agencies, including the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the International Bureau of Labor. These, among other leadership and management positions I have held in my long professional career, have equipped me to undertake any executive position.
SECOND VICE PRESIDENT/MEMBERSHIP DIRECTOR ~ EDWARD REED
I currently serve as Second Vice President and Membership Director for the Maryland Federation of NARFE. In my Chapter 306 Hagerstown, I was Membership Chair for four years and served as Chapter President for four years. I currently serve Chapter 306 as Vice President for Legislation.
I have participated in three National NARFE Conventions: 2014 Orlando, Florida, 2016, Reno, Nevada; 2018 Jacksonville, Florida; three National NARFE Legislative Conferences (2015, 2017 and 2019) in Alexandria, Virginia; two Maryland Federation Biennial Conventions in Ocean City, Maryland. I have also attended all Maryland Federation Board meetings in Bowie, Maryland, from 2013 to the present, as Second VP/Membership Director since 2018.
I would like to be reelected as Second VP/Membership to continue to encourage more new Maryland Federation memberships, both retiree Chapter memberships, and active duty federal/postal employees as National NARFE members. My continued emphasis would be active U.S. Postal Service personnel for membership. I believe our Maryland Federation Executive Committee should try to work with USPS leadership and their unions to encourage NARFE membership.
My additional leadership and management experience include over 45 plus years as an Adult American Boy Scout (BSA) leader in five locations: Glens Falls, N.Y., Buffalo, N.Y., Glen Burnie, Md., Hagerstown, Md., and Baltimore, Md.
SECRETARY ~ PATRICIA A. FARMER
I currently serve as the Maryland Federation Secretary. In my Chapter 422 Laurel, I served as Public Relations Chair, Newsletter Editor for many years, First Vice President, and President for eight years. I currently serve as chapter secretary.
Other related activities I have participated in are:
- Served as Maryland Federation Secretary for the last six years.
- Represent NARFE/MD on the Board of the Maryland Gerontological Association as Administrative Vice President for Membership; and served as the MGA membership chair. Ted Jensen asked me to serve in this capacity when he was Federation President.
- Edited the Federation newsletter for the last six years. Now serve as the Federation Newsletter Production and Editorial Manager (layout and editing).
- Updated Federation secretary’s documents to electronic format
- Actively participate in the management of the Federation through involvement in Executive Committee.
- Serve on the NARFE/MD Profiles Editorial Review Board. Edited2017, 2018 and 2019 editions.
- Secured speakers for NARFE/MD meetings before Program Chair position was instituted at my suggestion.
- Was a member of the planning team for NARFE/MD political forums, including two Gubernatorial Forums.
- Served on the Federation’s (FEEA) Scholarship Committee for five years.
- Served on Federation’s Nominating Committee.
- Currently, serving as Secretary for the Laurel Chapter of the American Rosie the Riveter Association (ARRA)
- Served two terms (2005-2006 and 2006-2007) as Secretary for the Maryland Business & Professional Women (BPW/MD)
- Honed editing and writing skills while working for over 10 years (second career) with Patuxent Publishing and later the Baltimore Sun Media Group, as an editorial assistant for the Laurel Leader, and for over five years as a Seniors Circles columnist, writing about subjects of interest to older adults, for the Howard County Times and the Laurel Leader.
- Nominated and selected for the Maryland Senior Citizens Hall of Fame, Class of 2018, for extensive volunteer work.
My Leadership and Management Experience includes:
- Retired in 2002, after 37 years, as a senior manager at the National Security Agency; supervised at the team and branch levels; managed at the deputy division, division, and office staff levels.
- Received the Agency-level Red Carnation manager award submitted by the people I managed at the office staff level.
- President of the Altar Society at St. Nicholas Catholic Church, Laurel, Md.
- Chair, St. Nicholas Church Fall Bazaar each year
- Co-Chair, St. Nicholas Church Craft & Vendor Fair (spring)
- Served as a member of the St. Nicholas 50th Anniversary Planning Committee, leading the church’s involvement in the Laurel Main Street Parade and Festival, to celebrate this special anniversary with the community.
I want to continue as a Federation officer to provide continuity on the Executive Committee; to help move the association forward in a positive direction, and to further the NARFE mission.
TREASURER ~ RICHARD L. STROMBOTNE
A member of Western Montgomery County Chapter 258, I currently serve as Treasurer of NARFE/MD.
My Chapter service includes President, Vice President, Membership Chair over the years and member of the Executive Board.
The offices I have held in the Maryland Federation are 1st Vice President (2001-2005), President (2005-2009), and Treasurer (2009-Present).
I want to continue to serve members and chapters as Treasurer and to participate in making policy on various federation activities, executive Committee, Federation Board, and State Legislation Committee.