- Federal Benefits Question of the Week: FERS Basic Benefit June 6, 2023
- NARFE Provides Comments to Rule Establishing PSHB June 6, 2023
- Biden Signs Debt Limit and Budget Deal Into Law June 6, 2023
- Legislation Announced to Improve Social Security and end WEP/GPO May 30, 2023
- Biden-McCarthy Deal Raises Debt Ceiling, Sets Budget May 30, 2023
- Chapter Events (13)
- Conference Info (10)
- Convention News (11)
- Future of NARFE (2)
- General Announcements (82)
- Legislative – Federal Blog (19)
- Legislative – State Blog (33)
- MD Federation – Call for Articles (1)
- MD Federation Board Meeting (10)
- MD Federation Calendar-Events (5)
- MD Federation Event (21)
- MD Federation Newsletter (7)
- MD Federation Training (4)
- NARFE National Headquarters (2)
- NARFE PAC (1)
- Non-NARFE Events (9)
- Press Releases (9)
- Profiles in Civil Service (2)
- Region II Contact Information (4)
- Region II Training (5)
- Uncategorized (1)
- USM (6)
Archives of the MD Federation
- April 2023 (1)
- October 2022 (3)
- March 2022 (1)
- November 2021 (1)
- August 2021 (2)
- May 2021 (1)
- April 2021 (1)
- March 2021 (3)
- February 2021 (4)
- January 2021 (4)
- December 2020 (1)
- October 2020 (1)
- September 2020 (2)
- August 2020 (1)
- July 2020 (1)
- June 2020 (2)
- May 2020 (1)
- April 2020 (3)
- March 2020 (1)
- February 2020 (4)
- January 2020 (2)
- December 2019 (3)
- October 2019 (1)
- September 2019 (2)
- August 2019 (1)
- May 2019 (1)
- April 2019 (3)
- March 2019 (9)
- February 2019 (10)
- January 2019 (1)
- December 2018 (1)
- November 2018 (1)
- October 2018 (1)
- August 2018 (1)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- May 2018 (2)
- April 2018 (2)
- March 2018 (2)
- February 2018 (2)
- December 2017 (1)
- October 2017 (5)
- August 2017 (2)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (1)
- January 2017 (4)
- September 2016 (1)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (3)
- July 2015 (2)
- May 2015 (4)
- March 2015 (4)
- January 2015 (4)
- December 2014 (1)
- November 2014 (3)
- October 2014 (8)
- September 2014 (5)
- August 2014 (1)
- June 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (8)
Category Archives: MD Federation Board Meeting
Official Call to February 2021 Board Meeting
Comments Off on Official Call to February 2021 Board Meeting
Posted in General Announcements, MD Federation Board Meeting, MD Federation Event
AGENDA NARFE/MD VIRTUAL Board Meeting via Zoom October 5, 2020 / 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Comments Off on AGENDA NARFE/MD VIRTUAL Board Meeting via Zoom October 5, 2020 / 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Posted in Conference Info, General Announcements, MD Federation Board Meeting, MD Federation Event
Notification of Cancellation of May 4-5 Mini-Conference
The NARFE/MD Executive Committee met by Conference Call on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 to discuss the upcoming May Mini-Conference. The final
decision was to cancel the May 4-5 Mini-Conference because of the uncertainty surrounding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19); the fact that the virus is most serious and dangerous for people over 65+; and the CDC restrictions on meetings and its order to practice social distancing.
NARFE/MD will not reschedule the Mini-Conference.
Chapter Presidents: Please notify your members of this cancellation.
Also, those members who have already registered for the Mini-Conference will be reimbursed for their payment. If you have already reserved a hotel
room at the Bowie Comfort Inn, please remember to cancel it. There shouldn’t be any penalty this far out.
The next NARFE/MD Board Meeting is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 5, at the Bowie Comfort Inn, so mark your calendars.
The Executive Committee prays for your safety, health and well-being during this critical health crisis.
Comments Off on Notification of Cancellation of May 4-5 Mini-Conference
Posted in Conference Info, General Announcements, MD Federation Board Meeting, MD Federation Calendar-Events, MD Federation Event, MD Federation Training
NARFE/MD: Join Us in Ocean City for the Biennial Conference
The 44th Biennial Conference of the Maryland Federation of NARFE will take place May 5-7, 2019 at the Dunes Manor Hotel in Ocean City, Maryland. For more information
Comments Off on NARFE/MD: Join Us in Ocean City for the Biennial Conference
Posted in Conference Info, General Announcements, MD Federation Board Meeting, MD Federation Calendar-Events, MD Federation Event
Summary of Highlights from NARFE/MD Board Meeting – Feb. 5, 2019, Bowie Comfort Inn
Maryland Federation of NARFE – Patricia Farmer, Secretary, NARFE/MD
- Opening: President Dr. Gary Roundtree Sr. called the meeting to order at 9:34 a.m.
- Bowie-Crofton President Frank Lee introduced new member Charles Smith who was affected by the recent partial shutdown. His shutdown story was featured in the Washington Post. As a result of the affect the shutdown had on him, Charles decided to retire and is waiting for his papers to go through.
- President Dr. Gary Roundtree Sr. went over the Federation’s reimbursement policy for those attending the National Legislative Training Conference (NLTC), March 10-13, at the Hilton Mark Center in Virginia.
- First Vice President and Legislative Director Dr. Sudha Haley talked about the Crusade to Capitol Hill on March 13. This is the day the NLTC attendees from NARFE/MD will visit Senators and Representatives on Capitol Hill.
- Guest Speaker John Koskinen, former IRS Commissioner, spoke to attendees and gave insights into his management style during his career. He made sure employees at all levels knew him and had the opportunity to ask questions and let him know about problems at any level. He stressed that the ethos in an organization is very important. As the lead for Y2K in the United States, and he subsequently became the lead in the world. As a result of his management and the people he worked closely with in government and the private sector, there was no disaster when we rolled over to the year 2000. He mentioned a few glitches, one in Japan and the other in the United States.
- William Guthrie, President Chapter 1260, Southern Prince George’s, was inducted as a Board member by President Dr. Roundtree.
- Luncheon Speaker was Colonel William Pallozzi, Maryland Secretary of State Police. As such, he is a member of Governor Hogan’s cabinet. He is responsible for the 23 Barracks of State Troopers within Maryland. His purview also includes an aviation section and the largest crime laboratory in the state. Maryland State Police began in 1921 and is now 98 years old. In keeping with its three missions, there is a Traffic Bureau, a Criminal Investigation Bureau and a Support Services Bureau. Colonel Pallozzi stressed that it is a dangerous, noble profession. The Polar Bear Plunge, sponsored by the State Police, is the largest single day fundraiser in the world. There are 152 Police Departments in the state of Maryland.
- New Region II Vice President Kathy Adams gave her report. Region II includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. RVP Adams reported items from the National Executive Board (NEB) meeting, including the existence of four new committees at the National level: Membership Committee; Non-Dues Revenue Committee; Building Committee (all reasonable options, even sale of the HQ building, which is large, with only 50 employees currently); and 2021 – 100th Anniversary Centennial Committee (Kathy Adams is Chair; Dr. Sudha Haley is one of committee volunteers).
- Dr. Bruce Fowler, Chair of the Federal Legislative Committee, said that the 2019 Profiles in Civil Service, Golden Edition, should be out in March and the NARFE/MD delegation from the NLTC will be taking copies to Capitol Hill to keep reminding Congress what federal employees do every day for this country.
- Paul Schwartz, Chair of the State Legislative Committee stressed the importance of NARFE/MD having a large contingent going to Annapolis on Feb. 13 for the hearing on HB 327, which would decouple Maryland from Federal taxes and allow taxpayers to itemize at the state level. He also urged members to give to MD-PAC because it allows us to meet/greet our state legislators and share with them our legislative interests. Toll free phone number for General Assembly: 1-800-492-7122. Tell the operator who you are and your organization and that you support HB 327 and why. Also, you can go to LWV.org to get a phone number and email address for a specific lawmaker. (LWV is the League of Women Voters.)
- Second Vice President and Membership Director Ed Reed handed out a Membership packet and exercise to each Chapter President. The exercise is an effort to recruit US Postal Employees; packets include 20 F135 applications, 18 M2 prospective member forms, the new membership manual, and three packets for US Post Offices.
- The Board voted to accept the proposal to amend the National Bylaws to ensure fairness in the NARFE ballot used in voting.
- Scholarship Chair Eleanor Kaul said that FEEA/NARFE Scholarships have been reduced to $700. There is a new Memorandum of Understanding between FEEA and NARFE due March 25.
- Alzheimer’s Chair Eleanor Kaul reported that Maryland NARFE is Region II’s second largest donor to NARFE Alzheimer’s Research. The three top donor chapters are: 969 St. Mary’s County/$5,500; 2274 Ocean Area/$1,577; and 1127 Rockville/$1,500.
- Co-Chair Larry Walton gave an update on the 2019 Biennial Conference, May 5-7, 2019 in at Dunes Manor, Ocean City, Md. Dunes Manor is located at 28th Street, in the heart of Ocean City. Oceanfront rooms are available all week for $98.35. Vendor Chair for the Conference Eleanor Kaul has sent letters to 16 vendors, inviting them to rent tables at the conference. Several vendors have taken ads in the conference program and are sponsoring meals. Registration fee is $50, which includes two breakfasts and two lunches. The Installation Banquet is separate at $45. For details, contact your Chapter President who received the Call Letter to the 2019 Biennial Conference. Also, on Feb. 8, the Maryland Federation Secretary Pat Farmer sent information on the May Conference to each member of the Maryland Federation from the NARFE Email System.
- Programs Chair Edward Holland has been busy securing speakers for the May conference; among them are Barbara Sido, NARFE Executive Director; James Marshall, NARFE Federal Benefits Institute; John Wobensmith, Maryland Secretary of State; and many other speakers from State and Federal government and beyond.
- Public Relations Chair Edward Holland stated that his goal is to tell the story of NARFE and get us in the fight.
- Adjournment: 2:54 p.m.
Comments Off on Summary of Highlights from NARFE/MD Board Meeting – Feb. 5, 2019, Bowie Comfort Inn
Posted in Chapter Events, Conference Info, General Announcements, Legislative - Federal Blog, Legislative - State Blog, MD Federation Board Meeting